Wednesday, February 26, 2014

First Tracting Experience!

Last p-day we went to this huge mountain to sled. We hiked to the top, which took us a good half hour, before we went down. Luckily, it was 40 degrees out and the wind wasn't that bad. I was wearing jeans and nikes despite the snow being up to my waist at some points. By the end, I could not feel my toes and my butt was frozen, but it was worth it! It felt good to be out there in nature!



That night, we had dinner with the Hobbs family. We had taco soup, which I've never had before but it was delicious. At one point, their 7 year old daughter started choking on a tortilla chip. It was just partial blockage but she couldn't get it out. Her dad had her crawl under the table because her other 5 siblings had her blocked in the middle. While she was crawling, she said in a dramatic voice, "I'm dying!!!" and her bros and sisters started giggling. Once she coughed it up, we all started laughing at/with her becuase of what she said! I related my story of choking on steak at the MTC and she felt less embarrassed considering missionaries choke too. 



I HAD MY FIRST TRACTING EXPERIENCE! (Tracting is the typical knocking on random doors missionaries do) First dude who answered came to the door looking all angry. He had gray hair past his shoulders and a mustache + beard. Here is the play-by-play:
Him(talking through the screen door): You here to talk to me about your Lord?
Me: Why yes I am!
Him: How old are you?
Me: 20
Him: I'm 60 and I ain't never seen god. Now don't lie to me, have you?
Me: I have not, but I know He exists and loves us.
Him: This conversation is over *slams door*
I couldn't help but laugh my way off the door step! I could tell how unhappy and dissatisfied he was with life. The Gospel brings satisfaction and happiness and peace into lives and he rejected the very thing he could have used! I just thought it was funny how nasty and rude he was to me. It was a reflection of how he lives his life. I know God loves all of His children and He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to the Earth that all His children might have a way back to Him. I know this to be true. 

This week in general didn't have too many things going on. People flake out on appointments like usual. They want to meet with us until it actually comes time to do it then everything else in the world becomes more important. We went to the baptism of Jose Alberto Saturday night in Saratoga. He is from Honduras. He lives in a trailer with 7 other Hondurans and they all work somewhere. They all showed up to his baptism and they really enjoyed seeing him make that covenant with God. There were a lot of ward members there to support him, even though he doesn't speak any English and the whole program was in Spanish. The Elders from Saratoga, E. Almeida and E. Ramirez, are both Latinos so they speak it. We probably spent 12 or so hours helping JD + Misty move from their trailer to a house. I'm glad we could help them because they have both been under a lot of stress lately. We are their "angels". Scripture that I kept repeating in my head while moving their stuff------> Mosiah 2:17 "And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God"

Anyways, I'm grateful to be here in Hanna as a full time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Jesus Christ lives! Heavenly Father watches over us and loves us. He is waiting to bless us as we keep His commandments! Cool, Huh?

2 comments:

  1. thanks for making this Aunt Joan --- it's fun to be able to see how Bill is doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see him! Thank you, this is a great way to keep in touch and to know he is doing well.Thank you Billy for blessing our live! Love you, Tios Scott and Nubia

    ReplyDelete