Thursday, February 20, 2014

Week #2

Second week in the field was a pretty good one. On Wednesday the wind was crazy. I'm talking 50, 60 mph winds. Our truck doors would be blown open as soon as you'd crack the door. In the middle of all the wind, we did some service for an Investigator named JD. They have 3 horses so they needed help unloading hay bales. They had 30 or so bales and they each weigh (in my estimate) 70-80 lbs. So I got my workout in for the day. The elevation in Hanna is 6700 ft, but we also cover a place called Elk Mountain and that sits at 7200 ft! The other day on p-day we played basketball and the elevation definitely gets to me. Breathing is much harder no doubt. Anyways, we had a dinner appointment in Elk Mountain so we visited an old lady who has been battling cancer for 13 years :( She was sleeping when we got there so we helped her non-member husband set up his new wireless computer. He was pretty reserved at first but he opened up after he saw we were just there to help him and no force the Gospel upon him. He gave us a root beer as reward and then his wife woke up and we shared a scripture on faith before we left. Dinner was at this huge ranch dude's house. He makes hay that is used for the horses in the Kentucky Derby so he is kinda a big deal. We had some great chili and fun talking to their daughters who are 5 and 10 I believe. Oh yeah one thing that was scary was we were pulling out onto a busy-ish highway and my comp didn't see a MACK truck coming from our right. He started pulling out and I'm like "elder...elder...ELDER!!!!!!" and we stopped about 6 or so feet short. whew!
We did some service at the Catholic church. They have a D.I./good will set up in their basement so we went over there and helped move boxes and such. We found this Maclemore like trench coat with the fur in great condition and all that and they said we could take it for free but we figured someone else needs it more haha. We then went to the town's unusually nice Rec Center and mopped a whole basketball court. We do that weekly. On Friday, we had a trainers' follow-up meeting (basically a meeting for the greenies - new missionaries) and it was in Fort Collins. Usually it takes us 3 or 4 hours to get there but it only too 2.5 this time. We left at 6 AM and got there early so we went to Denny's. Our server happened to be Mormon so he paid for our meal! I still left him a tip because I felt bad because how much money could a Denny's server really make? After the meetings, we went to a college favorite restaurant named "STUFT". They let you create your own burger and name it. Anyways, that place lets you do anything to your burger and you can even make your buns GLAZED DONUTS! It was good, but I don't think I'll go there again.
On Saturday we helped with a program at the Rec Center called Bountiful Baskets. Basically, since the closest grocery store is 40 miles away and the closest Walmart is 90 miles away, they bring fresh produce in and distribute it to paying locals. We helped load the baskets and take them to people's cars. At the end of it, we got a free basket for helping so that's cool. Then we went a helped keep clock at the High school's big wrestling tournament. That was a good way to get our names out there and let people know Mormons are normal people. That night, we went to the Seager's home. Apparently, the wife took the kids and left for California a month ago and he left last week to bring the kids back. He brought more than just the kids back! He got his wife back to so when we walked into the living room we were thinking woah what the heck?! People these days.... Sunday we had 5 investigators come to church and we set up a dinner apt for an investigator family for this Tuesday. Exciting stuff. Since my comp is the district leader, he does baptismal interviews for the district. The Spanish elders needed this Mexican dude to get interviewed so we went to Saratoga to do it. They lived in a nice trailer and while we were talking to the dude, all these Mexicans walk in at the same time. I think 7 or 8 walked in and they all live there and just work haha. Things are good here though. The work is moving forward. This isn't my work or my companion's work or any of our work. It is Heavenly Father's work. Moses 1:39 says "For behold, this is my work and my glory to bring to pass the immorality and eternal life of man" That is Heavenly Father speaking. As a missionary, I am just a tool in his hands. It is a blessing and privilege to be able to help in the work and be called by God. It is truly humbling. I just wanted to post some lyrics to hymn number 85 How Firm A Foundation:
"The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, I'll never, no never,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake!"
Now that is powerful stuff! Be a part of this great work. It'll go forward no matter what, but wouldn't it be better if we all were a part of it too? 

No comments:

Post a Comment