Monday, March 10, 2014

"God's Timing is Perfect"

Last P-Day we went to Laramie, WY. Since it was the first week of the month, we all had miles and money. That's a fun combination :) We went bowling and I recorded my thoughts in my journal. I'll let my journal tell the story:

"I found the blue ball I'd used the time before when I bowled my 161. First game was rough. Pins weren't falling. My stroke was off almost every time. Just a bad time in general. I was really frustrated. I ended my first game with a grand score of 80..Alma the Younger said it best, "I was thus racked with torment...in the gall of bitterness...encircled about by the everlasting chains of death." Okay, maybe it wasn't that dramatic, but still, it was a terrible game. Then came game 2. I hit 9/- my first two frames. Only one pin didn't fall for some crazy reason.
I then got on a roll and had spares and strikes (3 in a row at one point) to finish the game. I ended with a 179. "...there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains...on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy." Maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but it was pretty cool being able to do that well."
*end of story*


Man! I write dramatically sometimes! And I quoted those scriptures out of Alma chapter 36 in the Book of Mormon. Now that is an amazing passage of scripture! We played some legit 4 V 4 basketball at the stake center and I was sure sore the next day. It felt good to get a few couple hours in of intense ball.
On Tuesday we taught a 40 year old lady in the morning. We taught about the Plan of Salvation and how families can be together forever. How can she or anyone know that any of this is true? READ THE BOOK OF MORMON! There is a promise written by prophets of old at the end of the Book. Moroni 10:4-5:
"4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. 

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all thing."
As a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, my job is to invite others to come unto Christ. We don't do this by manipulative persuasion, craftiness of speech, or deliberate deception. We do it through inviting people to read the Book of Mormon, pray to Heavenly Father to know the truth, and come to church. The Holy Spirit of God will manifest the truth to whoever puts forth the effort to find out if these things are true.
 
As a missionary, I am just a guide along their journey. It's great!!
Not too much going on this week but things are going pretty well. There are those days where people reject you and you feel down put you got to get right back up, brush the dirt off your shoulder, and keep moving forward. It would be hard to do if I wasn't sure about the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but since I know of a surety that Christ lives and His Church is restored to the Earth, I keep pressing forward. Heavenly Father loves us all and wants to hear from us daily in prayer. I invite whoever reads this to know that Heavenly Father is right there, ready to listen and answer our prayers. Answers don't come according to our timetable but according to His. It's hard sometimes to be patient with myself and investigators but I know that God's timing is perfect.
This will be my 6th week in the field. Transfers are next Tuesday. Let's see if I stay...or go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment