Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Week 7!

Transfers were this week and... I am staying in Hanna yaaaaaay! I am happy about that because we have lots of people here who are searching for the truth and progressing in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. My trainer, Elder Wilson, got transferred to Greeley East last week so I got Elder Olsen. He has been out almost 7 months so we both young guns. I am still being trained because this is my second transfer out, but usually you stay with the same trainer all 12 weeks. It'll be cool having two trainers because two is better than one. Last p-day was the last one with the district all being together. We went to Rawlins to play some games. We played some basketball and some Dew pong. We did the Elders staying versus the Elders leaving and the staying Elders swept the games. We went to a member's house for dinner that night and made our own pizzas. We also had a green drink in celebration of Saint Patty's Day. 

Last Tuesday was transfer day. The three Elders leaving all drove down to Loveland Colorado while the three of us staying worked together all day. The three of us (Elders Blue, Ramirez, and Sell) went to Rawlins to visit some members. The first dude we visited was quite the character. Apparently, according to Elder Blue, he always wears his vest with a pistol on his left side and two clips on his right. The next house we visited was an elderly couple. When I walked in, I notice it was hot. Their digital temperature scale read 82.8 degrees Fahrenheit! Oh my it was hot in there :O   When our new companions got here, we all went back to Hanna to our place. It sure was crowded but it was fun getting to know my new district-mates. 

Wednesday, Elder Olsen's first day driving in Hanna we got pulled over by the only cop in town. I know the cop and ate dinner with him before but he didn't see me in the truck at first. He was acting all serious and stern, giving Olsen the whole 'I'm a tough cop' act. He eventually let us off with a warning. Just after that, he saw me in the passenger's seat and was like, "Hey I know you!" He starts talking all nice and joking around after being all serious just a minute before. Funny stuff. Thursday was pretty awesome because we got to meet with a family who is looking into the Church. We had a good discussion with them and are really building friendship with the family at this point. We are going back again this week and hopefully they kept their commitments to read the Book of Mormon and pray as a family. 

Friday night we had a district dinner at one of our investigator's house. They cooked us burgers and hot dogs along with all the fixings. We played games and it was a good time sharing what we know to be true. Things are really starting to pick up here. It's really exciting. 

Sunday was definitely the BEST day of the week. Why? Because I got to partake of the sacrament! It's so great being able to renew those covenants I have made with God. I feel new again with a determination to do better next week. This week in sacrament meeting, the focus of the talks was on forgiveness. Forgiveness of others, forgiving yourself, and receiving forgiveness from God. I've never really had problems with holding grudges or not forgiving others but it is hard for me to forgive myself sometimes. I sometimes feel like I am my own biggest critic. It's so important to remember that although we need to hold ourselves accountable, we also need to know when to give the burden of our sin and guilt to Christ. Once we recognize we are doing something wrong, we can start the repentance process. Repentance is a great gift from God. It is the way we change to become more like Jesus Christ. He has already paid the price for our sins, pains, guilt, sadness, or anything else that troubles us. He has felt what we feel. He knows how to succor each of us because he has been through what we have been through. He paid that price for us because He loves us. The literal Son of God lived a perfect life and was the only one able to save us all. What we need to do is keep His commandments and follow Him. Once we repent, that burden is not ours to carry anymore. Christ takes that burden from us! 

In Isaiah 53 verses 3-5 it says:
3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him;and with his stripes we are healed.


Verse 5 is my favorite. Christ did all He did for us. Through Him we can be healed of anything. 
 
 
-Until next week-
 
Elder Sell

No comments:

Post a Comment