Friday, June 27, 2014

"Every Day Has Been a Blessing"

We had Zone Conference last Tuesday, which is when 70+ missionaries gather to be instructed and uplifted by our Mission President and other leaders. The ironic, yet important, message that President Brown instructed us on was marriage. Of all the things he could talk about to 19 and 20 year old young people who can't date or even flirt! It was great because it really made me think about the type of husband and father I want to be in a few years. I want to be loving and lead by example. I sat in Church yesterday and looked at all the women sitting alone with their children without their husband. Whether that husband isn't a member, inactive, or whatever, I made a promise to never to let my wife go alone to Church. I want to be the leader or my family so we will see how that goes a couple years from now. 
 
On Saturday we were on our way to do service at Habitat ReStore when we saw this large, older lady with a shovel. She had 5,000 pounds of small stones she needed to move from the pile into a preset shape in her yard. I had the prompting that the lady needed help. We turned around and pulled into her driveway and she quickly accepted our help. Her nephew, Nate, walked out of the garage and we got to work. He started asking 20 questions about Mormonism so we started answering them as we shoveled stones for 2 hours. Apparently, he has a friend who is a member of our church and gave him a Book of Mormon. He also told me that he had been praying for someone to stop and help them and a few minutes later we showed up. He also told me he had been wanting to meet with Mormon missionaries for some time up to that point. Coincidence? I think not! We set up a return visit for the missionaries who actually serve where he lives.
 
Last night, we had the opportunity to help with the Bishop's Youth Devotional which was help at Bishop's house. He wanted us to give a 20 minute lesson on the Plan of Salvation with a focus on the Atonement and Repentance. If there is one thing I know for sure, it is that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is real. That Jesus Christ really did suffer for our sins, pains, afflictions, anguish, and sicknesses in order that he would know how to succor us. I've experienced this relief in my life as I have repented and come unto Him. It was amazing to tell these 12-18 year old kids that they too can experience that cleansing and purifying feeling of the Atonement. It was legit!
 
Overall, the first 5 months of my mission have been a blast. I've had my ups and my downs but every day has been a blessing. It sure is cliche but a mission really is those best two years! Booyah!

No comments:

Post a Comment