Monday, September 8, 2014

"This life is the time we have to complete the assignment"

Alright so here it goes with my week!


On Tuesday night, our most legit member missionary, Bro. Hatch, took us out to Chick Fil-a before going to our appointments with us. We visited a family who has previously investigated the Church off and on for ten or so years and now I think they are finally ready. We have dinner with them tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. We also saw this inactive guy who has a very strong faith in Christ and is open to reading the Book of Mormon if it will strengthen his faith. We traded him his preacher DVD for a Book of Mormon. What a deal!



We met with a less active Thursday morning who is dealing with being separated from his wife for 9 months. She is coming back this week. We told him that the thing that would strengthen his marriage most is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He really wants to have a Christ-centered home so hopefully his wife buys in also. We also had district meeting on Wednesday.



We had a great visit with a less active on Friday night. She is the only semi-active member in her family and I just felt a great connection with her. Instant charity for her! We had a great visit and shared a message that really helped her. She even said she loved the two texts we send out to the ward per week that encourage them and inspire. We also received the opposite response from someone the other day as follows, "Stop sending me random stuff. I'm trying to work and it distracts me." We always quote scripture or prophets and she called it random!  



I got a call Friday night from the AP's asking if I'd be a part of the choir singing for Elder Quentin L. Cook. We left home at 6:30 to be in Fort Collins at 7:00 to practice hymn no.13 An Angel From on High. There were fifteen or so of us who were in it. It was fun seeing all my old pals at Mission Conference. Elders Cook, Christensen, Baxter, and Rhodes attended our Conference. Nothing stuck out to me except for this moment. Elder Cook, member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, said, "I know the voice of the Lord." It was like a wave of warmth passed over me. Literally, like a rushing wind it hit me and I knew what he said was true. The Spirit testifies of truth and it definitely testified to me that Elder Cook knew the voice of the Lord. It was a testimony to me that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is led and guided by apostles and prophets of the Lord Jesus Christ. I know this is true.



Satruday night, we attended the ward's 8 year old baptisms and got to witness the baptism for one girl and also stand in on the confirmation for the gift of the Holy Ghost. That was a sweet experience. 



We went over to a less active's house last night and he finally let us in. What was he doing? Probably what everyone else in Colorado was doing last night: watching the Broncos! He muted the game and we talked for the whole first half and the Broncos were up 24-7 at the end of the first half. He said he would have to have us over more often because of how the game was going. I found out this morning that the Broncos barely won by a few points, so maybe what he said was true. Missionaries are good luck. We shared a scripture on feasting on the scriptures and invited him to do so. Next time the Broncos play we might have to drop on by his home. 



To end my email, I wanted to share an odd but profound dream I had last night. Believe it or not, my worst nightmares I have EVER had have been when the teacher asks for my homework and I forgot to do it. That feeling of dread comes over me that there is nothing I can do. The homework is due then and there and now I am stuck. My grade is going to tank! The thing that frustrates me most is that I knew how to do the assignment and could have completed it had I actually done it. Luckily I wake up from those dreams and am so happy it was just that. I thought about that dream and how I could apply it to the Gospel and it actually works quite well. This life is the time we have to complete the assignment. The assignment is to follow Jesus Christ and to have faith unto repentance, be baptized, and receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost. We all have the capability to do it but sometimes we choose not to because there are a lot of more fun things to do. We get caught up in doing all these good or better things and forget the best things. What I don't want is to come before the judgement bar of God with that feeling of "oh crap I didn't do my homework!" All we have to do is what He asks so when we do meet Him, He will be pleased with what we've done. As Alma writes in Alma 34:32 "For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors." 



"Just do it" - Nike



Love,

Elder Sell




No comments:

Post a Comment