Monday, September 8, 2014

What man calls "coincidences" I call Heavenly Father's hand

This email is going to be different from most of my other emails. This is another example in my life of the reality of our Father in Heaven and the love He has for us. It is also an example of the validity of my call to be a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Here we go.

March 18th, 2014 - We had an appointment with a recent convert at her grandmother's house but it fell through because she was going to see a movie with her mom. Instead of doing something else, I felt like we should just visit the grandmother. I asked her and she said it would be fine. When we pulled up to the house and got out, a jeep-looking vehicle drove by blaring its horn at us and yelling at us. They even had the nerve to turn around and sit there for 10 minutes and just rev their engine. We assumed they were just some teenagers. 

Fast forward a week to March 25th, 2014. We had dinner at 5:30 and were at the Church until 5:15 so we figured we would knock one door before dinner. We saw a house with a blue van outside and said, "People with vans have families and the Gospel is perfect for families!" and knocked on their door. No one was home :/ As we walked towards the truck, I saw a familiar looking jeep thing parked outside a house and remembered what happened a week prior. Elder Olsen and I were both determined to figure out who this was that was messing with us! We knocked on the door and met Angie. She had met missionaries before in Montana and actually went to a Mormon Church with her friend there. Her husband, Scott, actually was raised Mormon in Utah so she was very familiar with the Church. We gave her a Book of Mormon and set up a return appointment. 

The week thereafter, on April 3rd, we met with Angie and Scott and got to know them. We laughed and cleared up a couple misconceptions about caffeine. I remember testifying of the truthfulness of our message and seeing the searching in Angie's eyes. She really wanted to know what was true and was willing to put forth the effort to find it. 

Fast forward two more weeks. We met with them again and she had a ton of questions for us on the chapters she read in 3 Nephi. We answered them for her and then taught about the Restoration of the Gospel through Joseph Smith. She really liked the fact that the Book of Mormon took place in the Americas and also witnesses of Christ. 

The last day of the transfer, Elder Olsen and I went by to say goodbye and to also answer some more questions. She shared with us, "A week before you guys knocked on my door, my daughter and I were talking about which church we should go to. I suggested going to the Mormon church but we didn't know anyone there. Then you guys showed up." She said she took that as a sign that this is the path she should investigate. 

The reason I share this story is because Angie was baptized last Saturday. What started as some rowdy high school boys (her son was the driver) honking at us turned into her being baptized. We knocked on her door at the right time when she was searching for the Truth. She was ready and Heavenly Father led us to her without us even knowing we were being led. He made things happen and let things happen so that everything would work out. The whole story probably isn't as phenomenal when I tell it compared to when I think it but it is simply awesome. What man calls "coincidences" I call Heavenly Father's hand. This is real!

The rest of my week was great. Being a missionary is fun and hard at the same time. It's so worth it. We got transfer news and I will be staying a FOURTH transfer in Greeley along with Elder Davis. My good friends, Elders Ramirez, Zavala, and Blue will all be leaving but I'll see them soon at this Saturday's Mission Conference with Elder Quinten L. Cook. Woohoo

-Elder Sell

No comments:

Post a Comment