Saturday, November 15, 2014

" I felt loved this week."

I had my 21st birthday this week. Mission birthdays aren't all too fun. I mean, what would you normally do? Hang out with friends? Watch a movie? Eat cake with your family? *incorrect answer buzzer sound* That's what the mission is about though; sacrifice! I felt loved this week. By my family, friends, and most importantly my Father in Heaven.

I can't really think of too many things that happened this week. We mostly were either A) visiting active member families in order to strengthen them and get referrals or B) finding those lost sheep on the ward list. Lost sheep are fun to find. They either want to remain lost and are more bitter than even normal people OR they feel guilty about not going to church and let that guilt drive them back or away. Alma said it best, "And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?" (Alma 5:26) We run into all sorts of members who talk about their missions with tons of enthusiasm about how they baptized hundreds and loved it, but the thing is, what are you doing today? Yesterday is great and all, but what did you do today to be better? If you aren't improving, you are diminishing!

The other night, we knocked on an active member's door and their daughter answered and said we could come in. We were about to step in when the father practically ran over and said it wasn't a good time because they had company. Although we didn't see any extra cars outside or any activity in the living room, we were chill with it because we dropped in. I mentioned how we were scheduled to have dinner with them on Monday, so that would be a better time to visit, and he immediately says, "We have to cancel that. It's not a good time. We love you and support you guys but now is a bad time." We left the doorstep with a terrible taste in our mouths  We talked about it and felt something was wrong. We let Bishop know on Sunday and he had the same impression that something was wrong. The reason I tell this story is that I am grateful for the Spirit. It guides us and lets us know when stuff is up. It comforts us when things are right and warns us of danger. I felt that and can testify of the role the Holy Ghost plays. Moroni says it best, "And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things." That's how I know Christ lives. That's how I know the Book of Mormon is true. That's how I continue to put in work each day because I know by the confirmation of the Spirit that what I am doing is right. 

I hope whoever reads this can rely on God enough to pray and ask Him for Truth. He is the only source we can truly rely on. I love being a missionary.

-Elder Sell
Birthday present from sister Lindsey!  Nice scarf!

No comments:

Post a Comment