Monday, December 8, 2014

"Happy Thanksgiving to all!"

Not going to sugarcoat it, I've been struggling. It's a mixture between not having "success" in this area (despite my hard work and effort) and adjusting to a new companion. Missions are hard. Not gonna lie! Nevertheless, life is good. I was feeling pretty down just a few minutes ago and then I wrote a letter to my mission president, the inspired President Kelly Brown. I started off just writing how frustrated I am and how it's hard blah blah blah and then I stopped. I thought, "what will complaining to the mission president do?" Absolutely nothing! Instead, I decided to write a list of things I am grateful for. The list included things as simple as my warm bed and bike to the Atonement of Jesus Christ and His Church. I feel better now. 

This is how my Thanksgiving day went. We got up and did studies before going to he Turkey Bowl! I would tell you I tore it up and scored like 7 times but that didn't happen. I didn't even play! Our Mission President told us "Please, no turkey bowls. No football, PLEASE!!!" so I took his council. It was boring watching because all I wanted to do was play! We taught a lesson to a member family at noon and had dinner with the Green family at 2:00. She had all the turkey, mashed potatoes, and fixings to feed an army of 20. Too bad it was just the four of us! We chowed down and relaxed on the couch with some very pleasant people. She offered to let us take naps on their beds downstairs but I wasn't that tryptophan-ed out. We went to my favorite family in the ward's house after that. The Scharf family is legit. It was more of a holiday gathering that I'm accustomed to because there were kids running around everywhere and family relaxing everywhere else. Heck, even the football game was on! We chill-axed there for a few hours and left with a 15 pound bag of candy. One of the aunts that was there didn't want her kids to eat it all so she gave it to Sis. Scharf who gave it to us. We ended the night by playing games with the Jewkes and enjoying our time.



The next day we had our zone meeting so I brought that 15 pound bag of candy. It made that meeting much less boring. 



The morning Elder Blackburn was leaving for Rawlins, one of the kindest men I've ever met, Bro. McKenzie, took us out to breakfast. He took us to a local joint, the Breakfast Club, where the average patron must have been 70 years old. Oh boy was the food good. He is doing well up in Rawlins so far. I try to use his favorite words and phrases every now and then, including cozy, that's nice, and good ole' boy. Apparently the only word he picked up from me was "shawtayee" HAH! 



Gratitude is the way we should live our lives (https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/grateful-in-any-circumstances?lang=eng). I find it ironic that we celebrate everything we are thankful for one day and then the next day (and now 6:00 PM) our country flocks to the stores to buy more stuff. And on top of that, we justify buying all that stuff because of the next big holiday, Christmas, where the true meaning has been lost. This time of the year is still a special time, but we can make it even more special as we focus our thoughts on the Savior, Jesus Christ, and look to serve others. Have you ever ding-dong-ditch'ed a Christmas dinner or gifts on someone else's doorstep? I haven't, but that sounds like fun. The reason for the season is to celebrate Christ's birth and to remember his sacrifice for all of us. Let us think about where we are in life and repent if necessary. 'Tis the season ;)



-Love,

--Elder Bill Sell

No comments:

Post a Comment