Monday, February 23, 2015

"ALWAYS do what is right"

Life is great! Elder Empey and I are doing some serious work here in Greeley. Despite all the transfers and two no drive days because of snow, we still did a tremendous amount of work. We have fun too! We've cooked Mexican Lasagna, tacos, cookies, french toast, and a few other things together. We save so much money by not going out to eat but pooling our money together and making real food. He is the MAN! 


We have been tracting quite a lot this week to find new investigators and it has paid off big time. I even saved this taco bell dog from getting killed in the road! Among some of the people we were able to teach were Chris and Jeremy on two separate occasions. Both guys opened after an hour or so of no doors opening. We kept pressing forward and then boom yeah you can come in and then we teach the Restoration and they are legit! Jeremy's prayer at the end was so sincere and we are looking forward to helping them progress soon. 



One of these nights that we went tracting didn't go overly well. The night was winding down and we had a decent doorstep discussion with a young lady. It was 8:45 so we decided to knock a few more. We weren't received very well and we both didn't want to end the night like that. At 8:59, we were walking back to our truck and I looked at Elder Empey and said, "You feeling that red door over there?" and he was feeling that red door so we knocked it. The man who opened was Shawn. He had been going to church for 8 months last year before he found out he couldn't get baptized because of his parole. We testified that God loves him and that we are there for him. It was SO sweet knowing that we were given some serious direction. I told Shawn that too, that we felt inspired to come to his door to tell him God's love for him. So cool. That same night, one of the elders in our zone needed a blessing. We were driving on the County Roads north of Greeley looking for a "black mailbox" as the elder described where they lived. We saw one so I slowed the truck down to see. It wasn't the right address so I began to go again when I saw a Hispanic man approaching our truck. It was weird because we are in the middle of no where so why is this dude out anyways at 9:15? He yells something then he whistles. Weird, right? We drive a mile down the road and can't find the place so we turn around and head back. I'm going slow at this point so we don't miss the turn. We come up to where we saw that same Hispanic dude and I see 3 or 4 others standing along side the road with a running car at the end of the driveway. One of the guys tries to walk out in front of the road to stop us (he was holding his hands out as if to signal for us to stop) and he looked ANGRY. I immediately get a very bad feeling and the Spirit says "GO" so I slam the gas down and the truck takes off. The car pulls out behind us but I'm going 80 by then and I got the heck out of there. I don't know what that was, but all I know is that God told me to get out of there as fast as I could. The thought crosses my mind, "what if I wasn't obedient that day? would I have still received that inspiration?" That's a testimony to me to ALWAYS do what is right. 



We taught this Ethiopean guy named Hitop or something like that. Empey and I just say Hip Hop or Hoptop when we talk about him because we can't really understand him. He was under the impression that Christopher Columbus was the first person to ever set foot in the Americas and that no one had ever existed here before, so when we taught about the origins of the Book of Mormon he was caught off guard. We had to teach each principle 3 or 4 times before he understood it. He said he would come to church but he never showed. Lame!!!!



A guy named Marcus opened the door while we were tracting holding a PS4 controller. So far, about 5 people have answered holding their gaming controller. The way to get in is just to act really excited about their game and ask if you can watch them. Works every time. It was weak once we got in because he was too busy killing aliens on Destiny to listen to our message. We finally got him to pay attention along with his wife and we taught them a portion of the Restoration. There are some lessons where the people are just being polite and listening because they aren't rude enough to kick you out. It's almost frustrating though because they'll tell you you can come back but then you do and then they tell you they aren't interested. Lately I've told people,"Look, if you aren't interested, that's fine. We just want you to be honest with us as we're honest with you." Then people let us know their true feelings. Just something on my mind.



On Saturday afternoon, it snowed a bunch so it was deemed a "no drive day". We went home at 6 after a great day of proselyting to do our weekly planning. We wanted to spice it up a bit, so we decided to make cookies. The only thing was, we were lacking a cup of flour, baking soda, brown sugar, and the most important ingredient of all, CHOCOLATE CHIPS! What could we do? We couldn't use our car and we needed cookies. To make the cookies without the right ingredients would be wrong, so we put our shoulder to the wheel and pushed how we know best: tracting. We weren't in our missionary clothes, but rather a sweater shirt and sweatpants. We went door to door around our apartment complex asking for one specific ingredient. The flour was easy to get and the same lady threw in the tsp of baking soda we needed. The brown sugar took 7 or 8 doors before we got it and then came the oh so special chocolate chips. Door after door, no no no. One guy said he didn't have them but that if he did he would give them to us. Finally we met this one dude in apt 17 who gave us a whole bag of Nestle Toll House chocolate morsels. We joked that on that act alone he will receive Celestial glory. We made cookies and enjoyed our evening.



To sum up my week, I'd say it was the best in my mission. Maybe not the most "successful" but I feel like I gave more effort this week than ever before. I have a companion who is willing to push me and willing to be pushed by me. We have one goal and one vision and it is working. We both have less than 10 months left and want to serve with all we got. It's the only way to serve. We found 6 new people to teach this week and are way excited to see them progress. I've never found missionary work to be quite so fun. An amazing companion + experience + desire = a dang good transfer to come. 

Love,

Elder Sell


No comments:

Post a Comment