Monday, March 30, 2015

The B-word, Baptism

Everything about this transfer was amazing. My companion, the work, how I felt, the food we ate, the people we met, the weather. Wow. 


So on Tuesday, we taught Jacob and I flat out asked him if he had thought about joining the Church. He said yes, but that he didn't like asking for things. Right then, we asked, "Well, we love inviting, so Jacob, will you be baptized?" And he said, "Of course. I'm not sure if I'm ready." We pulled open D&C 20:37 (which has the qualifications for baptism) and after we read that I asked, "Does that describe you?" He chuckled once then smiled and said, "yes!" We invited him to be baptized on April 11th and he was ecstatic. He came out that night to teach others about the Gospel and his love of the Book of Mormon (he started on 14th and was done on the 25th). Not only did he come out to teach with us on Tuesday, but on Wednesday and Thursday as well. 



He texted us Wednesday night to inform us that the 11th didn't work out for him. We asked about the 10th since next week is general conference. He thought about it for a little bit before texting back , "Could we just do it this weekend?" Elder Empey and I just burst out in laughter because we were so happy. We had to teach him 5 or so lessons in 3 days and organize an entire baptismal service but we made it happen, well God made it happen. We went to Kohls to buy him two brand new white shirts. One to be baptized in and one to wear afterwards. He looked so fresh! 



Saturday afternoon at 4:00 is when it all went down. Our Bishop, Stake President, and Mission President were all at the service. "It was...perfect." Elder Empey baptized him and I got to confirm him a member of the Church on Sunday. I had never previously done that but I got the hang of it pretty quick. 



Miracles happen when we have faith. Not just "oh I believe" then sit in your apartment and expect something to happen but "I believe, now let's hit the pavement". That's faith. I just want to keep growing my faith because if you aren't growing, you're shrinking. And lucky me, I'll have just that opportunity this next transfer because Elder Empey will be leaving me to go to the Boulder (just like Michael Scott on the Office S/O Lindsey and Yuri). I'll be companions with Elder Zavala, who I have already lived with for 4 months of my mission. The Greeley zone will be combined with the Greeley East zone for a total of 15 companionships including ourselves. Our zone went from 8 to now 15. I can do hard things.



Elder Sell

No comments:

Post a Comment