Monday, May 18, 2015

"All aboard!"

Each week when Monday rolls around, I completely forget what went on in  the prior week. I promise I did something good! Honest! Maybe I didn't completely forget, but you get the point. 

We went to Sean and Stephanie's Tuesday night with Jacob. Sean started to get argumentative about a certain Gospel topic and Jacob shut him down so hard!! I was just watching like dang Sean you just got served! I don't mind a spiritually uplifting conversation that may have conflicting viewpoints, but when you start to attack the other, that's when the Spirit leaves. Sean was trying to do that and Jacob just WHAM *end of conversation*

Our week was pretty low key with the exception being Sunday. Church was great and we were running the rest of the day. I had my Nike's on for part of the day because we saw some ballers at the park and we stopped so I could teach them a lesson! I tucked my tie into my shirt and we played 4 v 4 full court. At one point after I hit a driving layup, this one Hispanic dude was like, "who's going to guard him?" No one did! They weren't very good but it was fun none the less. We only had 20 minutes before our next visit so I got the job done quick and was sweaty for our teaching appointment! I taught the Gospel Principles lesson on Faith and that went well. We taught one of our investigators named Walker right after church and he is almost finished with the Book of Mormon. He feels good about it all so we invited him to pray to know which date he should be baptized! Woohoo! We went to a town 20 minutes away and sat in this dried up lake and met with one of the other ward's recent converts and his two nonmember friends who talked about how they've all changed their lives. They went from drugs, drinking, and partying every night to a life of Christianity. They told us some really personal things and we are excited to teach them again Tuesday night. We met with the Stake President really quick and he gave us some VERY inspired counsel about counselling in the church (when we get together as leadership and talk about how we can help individuals and families). It's awesome to be around such inspired leaders all the time. We ended the night by meeting with 4 less actives all at different times. It's hard to see someone who once was adamant about the Gospel fall into hopelessness. That's really what I see in a lot of less actives is a loss of direction. They know where they should be going, but they are so far from it that they give up sometimes. We basically are there to remind them of what they already know to be true.

There was a talk in sacrament meeting based on Elder M. Russell Ballard's October 2014 conference talk "Stay in the Boat and Hold On!". The boat is the Gospel/Church. I've seen it in our RC's life that he sometimes wants to push everyone away when troubles arise. He wants to isolate himself from the Church because for some odd/prideful reason he thinks he can do it on his own. He isn't the only one who struggles with this thinking. We all do! When problems come up, the last thing we need to do is start pushing away the support and teachings of the Church (or family). That'd be like jumping off the ship when the storm is at its worst. Not the smartest of ideas. I know in my life that during my hardest times, I too want to close off but that's not what will help. We need to ask for help from God and our friends and family. I love how that the journey isn't smooth and it will require every ounce of energy you have, but the ship will return to God someday safe and sound. 

"All aboard!"

-E.Sell

No comments:

Post a Comment