Friday, May 1, 2015

"I know this is His work"

No lie, things have been hard lately. Between helping missionaries, our recent convert, and all of our investigators, I don't have time to worry about myself. I guess that's what a mission is for.


Monday wasn't really our p-day because we went to the temple on Wednesday. So instead of emailing and laundry, we taught Walker, who is engaged to a girl in the ward. He is really an independent learner, so going into the lesson we knew we shouldn't step on his toes. We prayed about what to teach and prayer/receiving answer through the Holy Ghost came to us. We went in there and straight up let him know, "This is your search and we understand that. We just want to help you expedite the process by knowing how you'll receive your answers." The lesson went amazingly well. 



The temple on Wednesday was great. It felt like I had never been before! Ha! Not necessarily a good thing because I was like, "what do I do again?!" It was nice to get that added spiritual boost, which I desperately needed. 



I was on exchanges and we went onto campus to do some street contacting. The first dude we saw had earphones in, so I stopped him and asked if he had some time to listen to our message about Jesus Christ. He said, "No, sorry, I need to go home." I told him, "No worries! We can walk and talk!" He wasn't interested, but that's the perfect thing to do when someone says they are in a rush. He actually gave me his email address so I might email him.



We had a pretty sweet Leadership meeting Friday afternoon with Elder James B. Martino of the Seventy. He was more laid back than any of the other General Authorities we've had in the mission. He was approachable but not too casual. He taught a bunch of good stuff. I think what I got most from the meeting is fact that I need to pray for each missionary individually under my stewardship. There is no universal solution (well there is, it's called the Gospel of Jesus Christ), but I need to be sensitive to the individual needs of each missionary. It's a big deal!



Our recent convert, Jacob, had a VERY rough week. It seems like now that he is a member that he keeps getting punched left and right. He left Church early yesterday because of all the stress he was under. He wasn't sure if he wanted to come back to church ever again. We picked him up and brought him to the institute later in the evening around 6:30. We just chatted with him until the institute director, who was holding a mission prep class, invited us to come in and act as investigators. Elder Zavala and I were taught by these two 17 year olds who were trying to teach the Plan of Salvation. They went into some pretty deep doctrine! Ha! Afterwards, we all came together and Bishop Coleman asked Jacob to share his conversion experience. He talked for 10 minutes, and you could see how much that helped him. We went and taught a less active to end the night and Elder Zavala and I sat back and watched as Jacob and JB taught each other. They helped solve each other's problems. By the end of the night, Jacob was relieved of all the junk he had experienced the prior week. It was amazing to see how getting over ourselves actually helps ourselves.



I think my problem recently is that I try to take the whole world upon my own shoulders when it's not meant to be that way. If I spent half the time in humble prayer that I do in stressing and worrying, then my problems would be solved.  I think I'm learning that lesson. I pray for charity and patience every single day now and lo and behold, God keeps trying my love and patience. And maybe it's not that my problems will just disappear, but that through the enabling power of Christ's Atonement that I will have the strength to bear my trials. I don't have all the answers but I know who does. And I know this is His work. 



-E.Sell



No comments:

Post a Comment