Wednesday, July 1, 2015

"God's standard will never change"

After 74 (approximately) weeks of doing essentially the same thing,
you'd think I would get tired of it. The cool thing is, I'm not! I
still love what I do and it has been simply amazing.

Only a few experiences stick out in my mind, so I'll share them!
- We met three times with Angelle who is SO ready to be baptized! She
didn't think her parents had any interest in supporting her decision
to be baptized and follow Christ but they did! Because of that, she
pushed her date back a week to July 18th so they could attend. She is
super ready though. Such a powerful testimony and she really has
repented of her past life. I didn't know her before but she seems
unshakeable now! Good ole girl from Louisiana :)

- We taught Walker Sunday night and it was glorious! We were sort of
off topic so E. Board tried to get us back on topic by sharing a simile
that compared the gospel to an equation and it worked. Walker likes
that kind of thing so whatever does the job! Anyways, he then talked
about the true points (or doctrines) of Christ's Church as for in the
Bible and invited Walker to study that more. At this point, I read the
story in John 6 where some of the disciples abandon Jesus because of
the hard (yet true) things he taught. He questions the rest of them,
"will Ye also go away?" And Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall
we go? thou hast the words of eternal life." I then straight up asked
Walker, "Where else would you go?" And he was like "no where. This is
home." And the Spirit was strong and we all testified of the truth and
then E. Board invited him to pray about being baptized on August 1st
and then I invited Cassie (his fiancé) to share her testimony and she
did and it was so powerful and she ended by telling him how much she
loved him and how she couldn't wait until they were sealed as an
eternal family and BAM the spirit was so strong! Run on sentence, but
you get the point :) and then to top it off, Cassie gets out Facebook
so she can invite us to their wedding next year. Amazing!

It always humbles me to see these amazingly prepared people learn
about the Gospel and embrace it. I play a small role and I'm so glad
it is small. My job is just to get out of the way and let the Holy
Spirit do his work. I ponder about why Heavenly Father needs me here,
because really He can do His own work. But if I think more about it,
what loving Father wouldn't want the success of His children? He
didn't create us all so He could have billions of spectators to
witness how powerful He is, but He created us so we could learn and
grow, and thus He experiences more joy in seeing His children succeed.
I'm humbled to be a tool in His hands to help my fellow brothers and
sisters along, and all the while I grow too. How marvelous?

To end, I want to share my grand desire in this life which is to be
happy and peaceful. That's all I sincerely want. I'm sure I'll lose
sight of that goal from time to time but I hope I can always remember
that. I'm excited to start a family after my mission. I'm not sure how
long that will take but I want to have a beautiful wife and beautiful
children. I want us all to be happy together and to return to live
with God again. With the world's pathetic attempts to redefine
success, failure, and even marriage, I know what God's standard is and
I know it will never change. I'm here on my mission to help others
find that true joy that comes from a happy family living the gospel in
the home.

"“The most important of the Lord’s work you will ever do will be
within the walls of your own homes."
                       –President Harold B. Lee

-E.Sell




No comments:

Post a Comment