Monday, July 6, 2015

The Gospel is amazing!

Yet another amazing week in Greeley (which has become my home away from home).

Tuesday night we thought our ward had Ultimate Frisbee at this field
we usually play at, so we went and no one showed up! But luckily there
was an entire youth group from another church! We started playing with
them and we tore it up! Afterwards, the two youth pastor dudes started
asking us questions about what we do. Elder Board and the one kind of
split off from the group because he had some specific questions, so I
began to answer the entire youth group and their leader. I told them
about me but more importantly about the Gospel. I overheard Board was
teaching the other guy so I stalled for time. Henry, the jacked
ex-wrestler guy Board was teaching, invited us to his home on the 4th
to talk religion.  It was alright but most of his purpose in having us
over was so he could ensure we weren't preaching false doctrine to
those we teach. His big thing was that baptism isn't essential to
enter the kingdom of God. Although he isn't ready for our message, he
is an amazing person and does so much good where he stands. His
roommate Nick showed up halfway through and that guy is awesome. We
all encouraged each other to keep preaching and helping others.

Elder Board and I are really into working out so we bought this
preworkout called BULLNOX ANDRORUSH! It has this crazy picture of a
raging bull on it so we were like hey let's go hard in our workout. We
took it for two days, Thursday and Friday, and it left us feeling
weird afterwards. I hated the feeling and I read the word of wisdom
and it says, "Given for a principle with promise..." And I pondered if
the word of wisdom was rewritten today, would Bullnox be included in
the DO NOTs? For me, yes. So we aren't taking it anymore but it's all
good in the hood.

The 4th of July started bright and early for us, 5:30 to be exact. We
went to the church to shoot some hoops to warm up our legs for the Run
4 Greeley 5k! I've never run a 5k so it was new to me (and Board had
only run one!). We dislike running so much that our thoughts for
preparing for the race were "as much as it will stink running the race
without preparing, the preparation will stink more!" So we ran exactly
1 mile to prepare, and that was 9 days before the race. The race began
and we had a mixture of adrenalin and a downhill start. We finished
our first mile in 6:45 and still felt good. Then we had to run back up
that hill and things got hard. Near the end, Board felt this sharp
pain in his side rib so we walked for a few seconds. People were
passing us and then he tells me, " Go on without me!" So I take off
and finish and he comes in a minute later. I finished 90/652 with a
time of 23:08. With no preparation, I am satisfied with how I did. A
picture is worth a thousand words anyways.

The Sabbath Day, Sunday, is always the best day of the week. We taught
Angelle after church and it amazes me how ready she is. She is getting
baptized on the 18th and couldn't be more excited! We also met with
Walker and Cassie, who both showed up to support us at our race! Last
time we met, we invited him to pray about a day to be baptized and
this time he showed up and said, "let's do it on August 15th!" It has
been such a blessing to know these wonderful people and play a small
role in their conversion.

To end, I'll share something I was thinking about after the race. The
winner, an African man, won the race in 15:00. That was the best he
could do. I did the best I could do and came no where near his time.
Luckily our Father in Heaven judges His children based on their
individual capacities, not some general standard. Doing my best may be
more or less than someone else's, but if I'm doing the best I can do I
can lay my head down at night and feel peace. The Gospel is amazing!
Jesus Christ lives!
-E.Sell


No comments:

Post a Comment