Saturday, August 15, 2015

"Did he read the same book that I did?"

We had zone meeting/interviews with the mission president on Tuesday.
Some missionaries in our zone have trouble waking up on time so Elder
Board and I demonstrated how it works. I brought my pillow and blanket
and laid down on the ground in front of the 28 missionaries and showed
them how waking up works. Elder Board served as my alarm and when it
went off, I simply threw my knees out of my covers and onto the floor
and began praying. I then got up and asked the zone, "Did you see
that? When the alarm went off, I got up!" There were a few chuckles
but I think they got the point. My interview with President Brown
didn't go so hot. I was number 26/26 to get interviewed, and earlier in
the day he had his "worst interview of all-time" with an elder. I
asked him about going home 3 weeks early for Christmas/school and he
asked me why I was so selfish. Anyways, I'll figure it out!

Our investigator, Angelle, who was supposed to be baptized on Saturday
faced some major opposition as well. I won't go into details but one
way to know when you're on the right path is that it gets much harder
to stay on that path. Hopefully she will be baptized soon. She is an
amazing young lady!

We went on exchanges with the APs and saw some miracles. Elder Winter
and I went to teach this 80-something year old man, Jack. He has read
the Book of Mormon twice now and he let us know what he thought of
it. He told us we are going to hell, our church is false, and Joseph
Smith was a liar and my thought was, "Did he read the same book I
did?" Because if so, he didn't get the message. One of my favorite
scriptures in the Book of Mormon is 2 Nephi 25:26:
"And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we
prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our
children may know to what source they may look for a remission of
their sins.".
That's what/who/why/how the Book of Mormon, The Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints, and me as a missionary teach! Jesus Christ is
our Savior and Redeemer! But when your heart is hard and you don't
wish to feel the Spirit, you won't. Simple.

At 8:30, Elder Winter and I tried to contact a less active family but
they weren't home. We continued walking and saw this man on the other
side of the street. We said hi and saw him approach a woman who looked
scared. We asked them what was going on and she said their little
brown dog was missing. We told them we would find their dog. We said a
prayer and off we went. Five minutes later at a nearby park, we found
their little brown dog. Elder Winter carried her all the way back to
the home where the owner said a quick "thanks" and got inside before
we tried to teach him something. Seconds later, it started down
pouring so we sprinted back to our truck, laughing at how awesome that
experience just was.

Life is good! Although it is hard sometimes it is rewarding. I love
growing my faith and sharing it. The Gospel of Jesus Christ makes
sense and if your heart is open you'll feel it's true. I hope I can
find some more of the elect before my time here is up. It's been a
ride!
-E.Sell

No comments:

Post a Comment