Monday, August 24, 2015

Week one in Laramie is done!

Howdy everyone!

Week one in Laramie is done! Elder Farnes and I are staying really
diligent and putting in work. We set some worthy goals this transfer
and are excited to achieve them.

On Monday (before transfers) Elder Board and I went to the gym to pump
some iron. For the past three months, he and I have been working out
everyday except for Sunday's. Usually we just use body weight but for
our finale we went to a gym to see where we are at. I came on my
mission benching 94% my body weight and after being with Board for two
transfers I can do 110%! It's been fun to workout and treat my body
like a temple. I feel better and look healthier. Yes, I've gained
weight on my mission...in muscle! Alright I'm done talking about
working out.

On Wednesday, we helped move some people (who had inactive YSA sons
)from one trailer to another.  Seven people were living in a single
wide so they realized they needed more room so they journeyed eight
trailers down to a double wide. We helped them move their big stuff
including a piano, refrigerator , and cabinets, none of which they had
room for. Both places were completely trashed, literally. I get
depressed when I'm in places like that because it's no way to live.
It's merely surviving. These people are living so far beneath their
potential in trailer trash. Check out this quote by President Ezra
Taft Benson:

"The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside
in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the
slums out of the people, and then they take themselves out of the
slums. … Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The
world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature”

Friday night we got this text from some Emily girl asking, "John are
you still in Laramie?" John was the last elder here and Emily isn't a
member so I guess that's what she called him. We explained that he
left but invited her to meet with us and she did. She brought her
friend Morgan and we sat outside the institute and chatted. Some of the
things they both said were really sad to hear. Emily didn't believe in
God because "if He doesn't exist then I have nothing to worry about,
and if he does exist then He loves me enough to forgive me for
whatever I do. So I'm just going to do whatever and not worry." My
heart aches when I hear others talk so casually and carelessly about
God. It's as if this life was all an accident and nothing matters to
some people. Let me get this straight, you'd rather believe that::


A) this life is all that exists, that there is nothing after and
nothing before, that we are alone in our trials, nothing you do
matters, death is the definitive end and there is no hope

Rather than believing:

B) We have a loving Heavenly Father and we are each his prized sons
and daughters. He loves us so much to allow us to experience mortality
with a body given to us by Him. Knowing we would make mistakes and
fall short, He gave us His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to atone
for the sins, temptations, and infirmities we would experience in this
life. Through faith in Christ and repentance, we can feel clean,
peace, and joy on our way back to the presence of God. Everything we
do matters and death has no sting. We will live with our families and
God in Eternal happiness and progression if we do what He has asked.

And to end this mini-rant/sermon, you can believe whatever you want
but Truth is Truth. I can believe that gravity doesn't exist but if I
jump off a cliff my belief won't change the outcome. Jesus Christ
lives and that's Truth. 2Chainz says it best, "Tru!"

-E.Sell


Orvil McKenzie from Prairie Ridge in Foco

Fort Collins temple and Elder Farnes after MLC

Snowy Range - part of Wyoming is beautiful

 District Meeting in Rawlins - ratchet pic



No comments:

Post a Comment