Saturday, October 24, 2015

I am an UNCLE!

I am an UNCLE for the first time ever!!! That's definitely the highlight of my week. Yuri and Lindsey had a little baby boy, David, on October 3rd, the same birthday as my Dad. I am excited to be the best uncle I can be when I get back to Provo in January. He will be a little baller baby if he spends enough time around me. 



This Tuesday we helped out with a huge service project for the community where we laid out 17,000 sq. feet of sod for the town's new skate park. The designer is a member so he asked the missionaries to help. I was there from 9 AM until 4 PM getting muddy and throwing down rolls of grass. It was fun to do some physical labor for once instead of just spiritual labor. That same night we got a referral from a member for one of her friends. Georgia wanted a Book of Mormon so we dropped by to give her one. She was in a hospital and her roommate was reading the Book of Mormon the whole time and wouldn't share it with her, so she wanted her own. Georgia said she would read the whole thing and pray about it. We invited her to church and she said she worked on Sunday's at the Hampton Inn. What do we do? We drive to the Hampton and try to see if we could coax the manager into giving her Sunday's off. The shift manager person wasn't there but the desk lady was a less active member and ended up giving us $10 worth of free chocolate hahaha. It all works out. 



We had interviews with President Brown Thursday. He drove all the way to Riverton to see how we were doing. I went last and we had a nice chat. One second he seems like he doesn't like me and wants to make my life difficult and the next second he is praising me for my efforts and work. He is a good mission president. He took all ten of us to Pizza Hut for lunch, so that was cool. 



General conference was saaaaaweeeeeet! It was a great time to reevaluate and reset. I think it's awesome how the apostles just beat down all the false ideas this world comes up with. Like Elder Christofferson, he addressed the "I'm spiritual, not religious therefore I don't go to any church" excuse. Bam! False doctrine beat down. And President Uchtdorf addressed the "I'm too smart and intelligent and skeptical to believe in God" attitude. He compared that to unplugging a light and wondering why it doesn't work. People want God to prove himself to them before they will believe but you got to have a particle of faith first. Anyways, I'm grateful we are "built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone". 



We had a really tender experience last night with the Brost family. We are teaching the grandkids about Jesus Christ and His Gospel every Sunday night at FHE. This week we taught the Plan of Salvation and played a matching game at the end. It was all a good time but especially this 7 year old girl's prayer at the end. During the prayer she said, "thank you for sending the missionaries to spend time with children like us. We are happy they would even come here to teach us." My heart melted when she said that and I was so humbled to be a missionary. 



Before I end, shout out to one of my best friends and recent convert, Jacob Ostertag. He called me on Sunday to tell me he is baptizing a guy named Travis this Saturday. Since Jacob got baptized in late March he has played a role in 6 other peoples' conversions. He is a stud!



Until next week!

-E.Sell

No comments:

Post a Comment